Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Four More Unknown Drawings by Beatrix Potter Discovered While Cleaning


I never discover anything while cleaning but dust and more dust! This bedroom is at Medford Hall, the home of her cousins the Hyde Parkers. All the relatives' homes I've seen are stately mansions and they all should have a sign out front saying "Beatrix Potter Slept Here"

I love here interior renderings and you can see all four here: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-36716973
 
One picture was discovered by Lady Hyde Parker, who lives at Melford Hall with her husband, Sir Richard, where Potter took regular holidays between 1899 and 1916. The article contains a beautiful photo of Medford Hall.

4 comments:

Pam said...

So much fun seeing more of Beatrix Potter's works! I read the article and thought it was interesting that Melford Hall was also home to Jemima Puddleduck. Another great post, Rosemary!

Jd said...

I was wondering what I was looking at. A dormer bedroom because of those windows? The trunk on the floor, so what is that strange box under the window? Looks like a place to put rabbits etc.! Jd

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I am glad you enjoyed learning more about Beatrix Potter's early days when she was creating all the books we know and love. I can't get enough.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Jd -- I am not even sure those diamonds are windows. They could be mirrors. This attic bedroom looks more like a storage area for the family castoffs except for the bed. Maybe Beatrix chose this out-of-the-way room herself rather than one of the more formal bedrooms in this grand house. She could be more creative in a place like this. Just a thought. I don't see diamond windows in the photograph of the house in the link.
xo, Rosemary