Friday, May 29, 2020

My Peonies in the Bud Stage

I was standing outside my brick wall to take this photo to show the true height of these giant peony plants. My peonies are tall and healthy this year and the three varieties have probably spread so much they are too close together. In the fall, I plan to try dividing them. 

The buds get larger every day but I don't think they are going to be opening quite yet. They get more sun in the afternoon than they do in the morning but that's fine with me. Once they start blooming they don't last nearly long enough, do they? 

5 comments:

hron said...

Ah yes, as with all good things, the peony blossoms don't last long enough! I see that our flowering crab tree blossoms are already laying, lifelessly on the ground. Sigh. I tell myself that their fleeting life span ADDS to their precious nature. I really enjoy the "age" the brick walls give to your gardens.

kathiquilts said...

certainly looks like you will have loads of beautiful blossoms. And you are so right, they are with us for such a short span - maybe that's why we love them so much

kathiquilts said...

oops -- almost forgot another JP delight -- Tea With Mussolini -- Dames Judy Dench and Maggie Smith are also in the cast - somewhat of a bio on the youth of director Franco Zeferelli - it's a treat

Content in a Cottage said...

hron -- Marcia, I am so glad I added the brick walls around my front entrance when remodeling my cottage. My cottage is close to the street so it adds a lot to my privacy along with the evergreens planted on the other side of my driveway. Your flowering crab tree must have been beautiful during its short blooming time. Yes, we love the blooms no matter how short their season. I still enjoy the foliage after the peonies drop their petals.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

kathiquilts -- I have seen that movie but must watch it again. My peonies are happy about yesterday's rain and already look as if they need to be staked before their blossoms weigh them down even more. They are easy to grow and every garden should have them even if they leave us all too soon.
xo, Rosemary