Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Red Geranium Thru A Window

I took this geranium photo this afternoon after I worked in my front yard for hours tidying up the weeds and dead grass and leaves along my brick wall. The violets have just started and I wanted to give them room to spread. It was a good way to work off the sourdough pancakes I made this morning. I have gone back to the early 1970s with my cooking from scratch. I prepared my first batch of sourdough starter on Monday and prepared my overnight sponge for the pancakes last night They were delicious and I can heat up the extras in my toaster. 

This as the sky at 7am on Monday morning. My mother always called it a buttermilk sky. I posted it on Instagram and a couple of people said Cogey Carmichael had a song by that name that was popular in the late 1930s and 1940s. We always had buttermilk in my house when I was growing up and I always thought this sky got its name from the way buttermilk dries on the inside of the glass when you don't rinse it out right away.

I took this photo on Monday with the geranium inside my living room and me outside on the balcony with a reflection of the buttermilk sky in the background.

I hope you are all doing well with staying inside during this time of quarantine. So far, I know only one person who had Covid-19 and she has recovered, but it did linger for quite a long time. I am thankful we are going into warmer weather rather than winter. We are all learning new things. One neighbor who has mastered grocery delivery says she will never go grocery shopping again in person after this is over; she loves online ordering and having them delivered to her door. Another neighbor (across the street from me) has been doing it for 10 years and she's teaching all of us her techniques. Neighbors helping neighbors is a good thing. xo

3 comments:

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek said...

I have never heard the term "buttermilk sky", but it is seems to be a good description. I too have been outside a lot the past few nice days...trying to clean up gardens from all the debris I get from my trees. I also love violets & let them grow, encouraging them as you do. Some years ago I got a "red" violet at a nursery in Gettysburg. It is a very pretty color...sort of raspberry rather than true red. Years ago I also planted a violet called Labrador Violet. It is perfect for my mostly shady yard & it stays more low to the ground. I'm trying to get it started in my front garden as a filler between plants. Its leaves are very dark green with some purple in them & the flower is a purple. I think those can be found now in some nurseries.

Happy puttering!

...all is grace!

Penelope Bianchi said...

I LOVE this post! And I love the description of all your cottage and garden description!
I would just like to add that the "weeds" and the "debris from the trees" that your commenter described is ownderful mulch that is extremely beneficial to plants!
Particularly in California, gardeners blow under shrubs and trees and expose the dirt; destroying the lovely moisture retaining mulch that is when leaves are allowed to collect. Weeds also are the plants where butterflies lay their eggs..and the catepillars grow and turn into butterflies!

Do not clean up too much! Habitat for birds, bees, butterflies needs to be preserved!

annette said...

Hi,Rosemary! What a beautiful photo of a buttermilk sky. Yes, Hogey Charmichael sang that tune. I love Penelope B. for reminding us all about leaving habitat for the birds ,bees and butterflies. xo