Friday, January 30, 2015

Cleaning Big Ben

via
After seeing this photo, I shall not complain about my current task at hand. I am digging out all the old grout around my tub and then I'll put in new. Grout, not caulk. Heaven only knows why today was the day I decided to do it. It's like granite and I have every tool I own in the bathroom. A hammer and chisel to loosen and an old nail set to dig are my favorites, so far. I have a corner tub so I only have two sides around the top of the tub and then down to the floor. It's going well and I'm excited. It's a pretty awkward job and I have to get in the tub to work in certain spots. I'm not going to rush because I can use the shower downstairs until I finish. I know I will do a better job than any hired hand because I care the most about getting out all of the old stuff. I have a feeling a pro would just rough up the old stuff and put new over it, right? Then charge me a lot of money and run away.
The wind is howling outside and more snow is supposed to be coming over the weekend so I will have plenty to do if I get snowed in. Have a great weekend. xo

7 comments:

Gail, northern California said...

Do you have any tried and true home concoctions you use as grout cleaner?

I'm very happy with everything in our shower stall but need to clean the grout without harming it.

libraryeducator said...

Why grout and not caulk? I need to do the same but everyone has told me to pot back caulk. Thanks.

Content in a Cottage said...

libraryeducator....I might replace the grout with caulk. I have learned that caulk is better than grout where the tile meets my porcelain tub because it is flexible rather than rigid. There is a lot of movement in a bathtub because of the weight of the water when it's full, not to mention the weight of the person who gets in it. Smile. That's what causes the grout to crack. I have also heard it's a good idea to fill the tub first so the gap will be as large as possible before applying the caulk. Now that I've started I have to finish this project, don't I? I know one thing, I'm terrible with a caulking gun. I think I'll go to the home depot today and wander around and ask questions.
xo, Rosemary

JudyMac said...

Rosemary, I once re recaulked my tub. I'm no pro, of course, but I did it this way ..... Put down a nice line of caulk around the edge and then run along the caulk to smooth it over with a wet fingertip. The finger has to be wet, otherwise it sticks to the caulk. This way you can do a foot or so at a time. Takes a few tries, but that's how I learned to get a nice, smooth edge.

Content in a Cottage said...

JudyMac....That's what the man at the Home Depot told me to do. He also made me put back the caulk I had selected and gave me another one that cleans off your finger with soap and water. The one I had in my cart required Mineral Spirits. Yikes. He also picked out the best caulking gun for me and gave me a lesson. I'm almost there and I'm feeling good about caulk.
xo, Rosemary

JudyMac said...

Doesn't it make you feel great to accomplish a nice little project like that! Some women would never think of taking on a project such as that. I can think of very little you wouldn't be able to do around the house.

The Queen Vee said...

I think I left my comment for this post on the beautiful English garden post. Guess I'll comment about the garden here and hope in the end it will all make sense to you. Love the garden, wish I could create such an inviting space....alas, not my talent. But I do have the talent of appreciating such beauty.