Saturday, September 20, 2014

Did you sew as a child on a toy sewing machine?

I did and I had a similar toy sewing machine. I can vividly remember sewing doll clothes on the screened porch in the summer before I graduated to my mother's Singer in the sewing room. That was also at a very young age. We always had a sewing room too which was wonderful. I am selling this one on ebay. I photographed it in my guest room. This built-in cupboard with shelves above and drawers below has a pull-out slide that was perfect for attaching the clamp on this vintage child's sewing machine.
Webster, Tabitha and I worked outside all afternoon yesterday and into the early evening getting the yard ready for fall. I weed whacked and they watched. Really! They love to watch me work and they give me lots of moral support just by being close by. Our street was repaved this week and it looks so nice. Now both entrances to my circular driveway are nice and spiffy too. 

6 comments:

annette said...

How sweet! Yes, I had a green one.

Mama Pea said...

No, I didn't have a toy sewing machine as a child, but I certainly did lust after one! My aunt (after much pestering by me) taught me how to sew on my grandmother's treadle sewing machine. I wish I could remember how old I was (maybe 9 or 10), but I don't know for sure.

donna baker said...

So sweet and I just love them. I didn't and still don't know how to sew, but wish I did.

Sunny said...

Yes, I had one my parents bought when we were living in England when I was ages four to six. I wish I still had it!

I had a cat who loved to watch me mop the floors. She didn't follow me from room to room when I was doing any other chores, but she always did when I mopped the kitchen, laundry room and bathrooms. I called her my supervisor. It made me laugh and I wondered what was going through her little kitty head that made mopping so fascinating.

jusaweecatnap said...

I had one, though a different brand. I played with it, but I don't think I managed to sew much on it. I did learn on my mother's Singer when I was older, then in high school (back in the days when girls had sewing class in high school). I wish I knew where my toy one went to. This post reminded me that a friend of my mother collects them. You can read about her here
http://articles.latimes.com/1997/sep/08/local/me-30044

Don't know if she's still into collecting them.

The Queen Vee said...

My older sister has always been a gifted seamstress. She got one for Christmas when we were young and still has it. I was jealous, both of the small functioning toy sewing machine and her superior talent.

I had to sew all my clothes growing up and during my early adult life. I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore although I do sew for my home and my kids homes.