Friday, January 13, 2012

Two indispensible kitchen items at my cottage.


   I use both of these wooden kitchen items on a daily basis. The top one is homemade and is used to pull out a hot oven rack and push it in again without burning your hand. You could easily make one yourself by carving up one of those sturdy paint stirrers, available free at The Home Depot. I got mine at a garage sale. The total length is 14 inches but it could be longer if desired.
   The other item I couldn't live without is my trusty wooden toast tongs. They are great for fishing out English muffins without using a metal fork. No more danger of electrocution or burned fingers here at the cottage.

6 comments:

MoiCLouLou said...

These are great finds!
Thanks for sharing, I will probably try to use one of these...

Whittron said...

Love it!

JudyMac said...

Something similar to your toast tongs can be found wherever they sell Chinese/Japanese cooking implements. I think they are made of bamboo.

Karen said...

Love the rustic beauty of wooden kitchen tools.
Karen

The Queen Vee said...

Chris made one of those oven rack pullers in 7th grade, I used it for many years and then re-gifted it to him one year when we gave each other homemade gifts for Christmas. I envy those toast tongs.

Jenny Jones said...

That reminds me, I have those around here somewhere. Must dig them up and use them instead of burning my knuckles regularly.
Thanks!