Monday, December 20, 2010

Lunar Eclipse Overnight Tonight

North America and the western portion of South America will be treated to a rare total lunar eclipse in the early morning hours of December 21. I will look out the window if I wake up in the wee small hours of the morning because the moon might look like this. It is coinciding with the December 21st Winter Solstice or the first day of winter or my dear departed brother's birthday.

If you want an astronomer's description of what will be happening click here.

Country Girl from Maryland posted a great simple slideshow animation for the layman; it only lasts a few seconds. Watch it and you'll understand what is going to happen perfectly.

I just got back from walking Webster and it's as clear as a bell here in New Jersey. It is going to be spectacular. I heard a man on TV telling everyone to look for Orion's belt near the moon. I loved finding the constellations when I was a kid. Let me know if you stay up and watch it.


Content in a Cottage
Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

1 comment:

The Queen Vee said...

Yesterday and today I'm in foggy snowy Salt Lake City, Utah so no eclipse viewing for me....boo hoo.