Saturday, June 12, 2010

Baby Bluebird Rescue At The Cottage





When I woke up this morning I looked outside my bedroom window and saw a blob that wasn't moving on the lawn near the Eastern Bluebird house. It looked like a baby bird and it was. The bluebird parents weren't at all upset and every once in a while they would fly down and shove something in its mouth. I was very concerned because it was almost time to let Webster out and this little bird clearly could not fly. I got my camera and a big stick. As I was shooting baby bluebird portraits the parents were dive bombing my head. Then I got my stick and tried to make this little one perch on it so I could put him back in the house. That did not work. So I picked him up and poked him back inside so he could tell his juvenile brothers and sisters about the outside world and the giant who helped him. I hope he stays inside until his little wings are stronger. All is well now. You know how much I love my bluebirds and I don't want to lose a single one. Here's hoping you have some excitement too this weekend. xo, Rosemary
My camera ~ Nikon D40 SLR
My lens ~ Nikon 18-200 zoom lens with VR
(Macro at any focal length)



Content in a Cottage
Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

8 comments:

KClark Photography said...

What a very photogenic little guy. The Magellan of BlueBirds.

Marilyn said...

Great story....wonderful ending!!!

La Maison Fou said...

So glad to hear this Rosemary.
Good weekend to you,
L.

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

What a good thing you did, Rosemary!

Unknown said...

Ohhh - so glad he made it home safely. I love love blue birds! Thanks for sharing such great photos!

PennyWolf said...

What a treat to see such a beautiful baby! Thank you.

Penny Wolf

Millie said...

Great save Rosemary! I bet they're still tweeting about this in the Bird House.
Millie ^_^

Anonymous said...

you did the exact right thing! I hope you did it again with the other one!

old wive's tale about don't touch the baby birds. Birds cannot smell!!!