Sunday, January 24, 2010

American Silver Punch Bowl Sells For $5.9M

A HIGHLY IMPORTANT AMERICAN SILVER PUNCH BOWL
Made by CORNELIUS KIERSTEDE, NEW YORK, 1700-1710

Pre-auction estimate $400,000 - $800,000
Sold January 22, 2010 Sotheby's New York.
Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: $5,906,500 USD
This is wonderful news for dealers and American Coin Silver collectors alike.

"Take care of your antiques and they'll take care of you."

Doesn't this make you want to polish your sterling hollowware? Read more about Cornelius Kierstede, the colonial silversmith.



Content in a Cottage

Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

4 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

It makes me wish I owned some sterling that I could send to auction. I do have 6 place settings of my mother in laws sterling flatware, I use it and I will never sell it. It will be passed down to a son some day.

I wonder if punch tastes different when served from a 6 million dollar punch bowl?

Kathy Walker said...

Sadly, I don't have anything like that. I do not believe that my ancestors did either! I can however, appreciate it. And, about twenty years ago I started an antique silver napkin ring collection...so, yes, I have a few small pieces.

La Petite Gallery said...

I had collected old pieces from 1960.
when I had the house burn down I guess they melted. Did't have any thing like that Gorgeous thing,but
I had an Antique shop and did have some beautiful tea sets etc.

yvonne

Susan Freeman said...

Quick where is the silver polish? While fashion seems to dictate that sterling is out of date, I am glad to have the confirmation that it is not. Fine china, crystal and silver is passed down to make one's guests feel special. If you have to polish the silver it shows that you appreciate your guests. If you have only one piece, display it proudly. One day it could well command a hearty sum at Sotheby's.
Go forth and polish!
Susan and Bentley
xxoo