Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday's Child ~ Happy Birthday to Me . . .


Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for his living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

Sunday's child or Sabbath Day Child ~ that would be me!
The words of Sunday's child poem were used to teach children the correct order and the names of the days of week. Sunday was traditionally referred to as the 'Sabbath day' in the Christian religion, hence there is no actual reference to the words Sunday's child! Our childhood memories of this particular poem are vague, we can remember that there is a poem about the attributes of being born on different days of the week but we cannot recall the actual definitions. Everyone, of course, would have preferred to be a Sunday's child for Sunday's child is bonny and blithe and good and gay.
Check here to find out your birth day-of-the-week.
Thanks for stopping by the cottage today to help me celebrate my birthday. ♥Rosemary



Content in a Cottage

12 comments:

Gal Friday said...

I want to wish you a Happy Birthday and many more to come, Rosemary! I hope you get spoilt and have some nice treats planned for yourself today.
I remember that poem from a nursery rhyme book I had as a child. I was born on a Monday, and my daughter was, too.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Happy Birthday, Rosemary! Have a glorious day!

Tracy Watier said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROSEMARY!!
Did being a "Sunday's Child" make you feel special as a girl? I'm a "Wednesday's Child"--supposedly "full of woe". Nice thing to tell a little kid, don't you think? My middle brother, whose job it seemed was to fill the rest of us with woe, was the Sunday child in my house growing up. Funny how silly things like that poem stick with you your whole life.
Hope you're having an especially Happy Sunday today!!

Pauline said...

Happy Birthday Rosemary, from "another" Sunday child

Marcy said...

Happy, happy birthday! What fun to have it on a Sunday this year. Hope you treated yourself well today and that the year ahead is a fantastic one!

Gail, in northern California said...

I'm late logging on today so my birthday wishes are a bit belated. Hope you, your mom and Mr. Webster had a wonderful time celebrating your birthday.

(As a special gift to northern California, we are experiencing a very light sprinkle of most-welcome RAIN!)

Cynthia L. H. said...

Happy Happy Birthday...and MANY more!
;^)
Thank you for sharing this poem...it's long been a favorite of mine. ;^)
I'm a Saturday's Child. It's true...I'm still working hard for my living. ;^)
My firstborn daughter is a Thursday's Child and my other two are Friday's!
;^)

Millie said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Brithday dear Rosemary,
Happy Birthday to You!
Hope your special day is filled with love & laughter.
Millie ^_^

Chiara said...

Sweet Rosemary,

I wish you a very Happy Birthday! May your Special Day be wonderful!

I was born on Wednesday so I guess I'm full of woe!

Love from Chiara

Sue said...

Oh, I'm so sorry I wasn't able to wish you a happy birthday on the right day.......but here it is, a day late!!
Hope it was wonderful!

Wanda S. Horton - Interior Designer said...

Happy Belated Birthday - Rosemary! I hope it was a wonderful day. My husband is also a Sunday's child - in May. I am a Tuesday's child - not so sure about the full of grace part. :) (Trip over my own two feet!) So, while my wishes are a little behind schedule, there is no rule that you can't carry the birthday on for a whole week! All my best! Wanda

Willardsdaughter said...

I grew up with that poem too. I am a Thursday's child - far to go - born in Baltimore, MD, and have lived most of the last 20 years in Japan! I've been all over east Asia, but before that I hardly went anywhere. Funny, huh?

From your blog, you certainly do seem like a blithe and bonny and good and gay person!