Monday, February 9, 2009

Wild about Crests . . .

Welcome to Isel Hall, a 15th century Historic house in England's Lake District.

 


  

The Lawson Crest, the sun supported by the arms of the law, is a motif which is much in evidence both outside and inside the hall.

 

Distant view of the estate showing a pair of the crests atop a stone wall.

   

Closer view of a wonderfully weathered crest.


 

Rooster crest on my everyday antique English silver flatware. I couldn't believe my luck when I found the set at a local flea market!

I have a 19th century antiquarian book entitled The Royal Book of Crests. It is full of engraved crests like the rooster above. 

xo

3 comments:

Tracy Watier said...

Wow, Rosemary, what a find your flatware was! The Lawson crests are pretty great too - love the face of the last one you show. Also, really enjoyed the pages about the Met - like a storybook for grownups! Thanks and have a great week.

brooke said...

Places like Isel Hall make my imagination run wild. Just think of the history. Oh, if those walls could talk. I love your flatware!

teaorwine said...

fabulous crowing rooster!