Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Georgian Glass Bowl full of Golden Delicious Apples . . .

This late 18th century or early 19th century Georgian Glass Fruit Bowl is one of my favorite things. It looks especially lovely filled with whatever is in season. Right now, the fruit of choice is apples.

Golden delicious from upstate New York...unwaxed, no stickers, hard, tart and crisp; just the way I like them. I can't tell that they are very different from last week's favorite ~ Ginger Gold. They are so good raw, I can't bear the thought of cooking them.

I should have used Granny Smith apples for St. Patrick's Day and the wearing (and eating) of the green. What is your favorite variety?




Content in a Cottage

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been on a gala apple kick but your golden delicious look scrumptious!
Betty

Content in a Cottage said...

They are!
♥Rosemary

Candy said...

What a beautiful picture! I like them all...as long as they are crisp and tart.

Content in a Cottage said...

Candy...I can still remember the great mountain apples in Hendersonville.

Are you making caramel apples for Halloween?

♥Rosemary

teaorwine said...

Gala apples are always added to the grocery bag while shopping!

Gal Friday said...

I am most impressed that you dare use your old glass bowl!! (in my house, t would have been broken by now)
I can't stand the soft, mushy apples one finds in the supernarkets in winter, so I usually buy Granny Smiths and Empires until the local apple harvest is ready again in the fall(McIntosh and Macoun my favorites...I like some juicy tartness to an apple and don't care for the sweeter varieties)