Monday, August 4, 2008

Huge snakeskin with eye sockets intact...

I found this snakeskin at the base of a tree located outside my bedroom window. I tried picking it up in one piece but it was too fragile. I hung it in the tree in two pieces. I know this snake. I often see him sunning himself in this blue spruce and he is a very large, very fat, very long black snake. I searched the internet for poisonous snakes in New Jersey and decided he was not a rattlesnake because he has no markings...just solid black. So I am not afraid of him and I just leave him alone. I hope he eats his weight in field mice!

Upon closer examination, I discovered that he just crawled out of his skin and left the old eye sockets behind. Lenses and all! Isn't that amazing?

Here is a closer view of his old face. Looks a little bit like Gumby with scales! Well, that is my adventure for the day.



Content in a Cottage

No comments: